August 9, 2016

What Can a Writer's Conference Do for Me?

I attended my first writer’s conference on May 19, 2012 at the invitation of my writer friend.  At the time I did not consider myself a writer, but it sounded like fun. It was a one day conference held at a Church in Cushing, Oklahoma. Donna Goodrich was the only speaker. I learned many things that would come in handy

If I was a writer, that is.

Soon I began attending a group for writers in Tulsa. I learned many things that would be helpful

If I ever did decide to become a writer.

Speakers kept talking about being called to write, but I wasn’t comfortable applying that tag to myself.

I had many things I wanted to share with my children and the children I taught in Vacation Bible School and others with whom I associated.  I home-schooled my daughter from preschool until she graduated high school except for a year and a half in the middle. I even taught my grandsons for two years. 

So you see, I was a teacher, not a writer.

I found myself writing daily. I wrote school lessons and Bible lessons and plays. I wrote a program for a three day home-school history learning activity called “Wagon Train Camp”. I wrote pages of notes every morning as I read my Bible and studied. I often thought how great it would be if I could share what I had learned with others.

But I was still just a teacher, not a writer.

One day as I browsed through my Facebook feed, I noticed there were many posts complaining about the condition of our economy and talking about what our government officials should be doing and not doing. That day I began writing a post of my own. The subject of my post was that we as Christians need to quit griping to each other and start praying. The only way for our nation to remain Christian, is for us to be truly Christian and spend time on our knees praying for our nation and its leaders.

As I wrote, I realized what a small audience my post would have with my barely more than one hundred Facebook friends. It needed a bigger audience to have the impact I had planned for it, so I created a blog on which to post it. A blog still had limits, I realized, but it was a start in the right direction. The more I thought about the thousands I wanted to reach with this message,
the more inadequate I felt as 

just a teacher

I wanted the message God had given me to impact the world, not just those who were within the sound of my voice or who would read my measly Facebook page.

It was then that I felt the gentle whispering of the Holy Spirit, “How many more people do you think you can teach through writing?”

 You can reach the world through writing!

Then I understood. God had been preparing me all along to write for Him. I am still teaching, but I am doing it through writing. I have the opportunity to share what God has given me with the whole world.

Because… I AM a Writer.

Martha Jane Curtis
Director - Successful Writer Conference 

9 comments:

  1. Good word. Conferences are for defining your goals, for gaining inspiration, encouragement and training. They are well worth the money and will help a writer progress in skills and gain confidence. Also they help you make contacts and learn how to finish your work and proceed toward publication.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Elece, all this and so much more.One just can't know all the benefits until they experience a conference in person.

      Delete
  2. So true, Martha. I attended my first conference planning to hand off my manuscript to a willing publisher and be done with this silly writing business. I came home with two invitations to submit articles to national magazines, and everything mushroomed from there. That was eleven years ago, and I couldn't be happier to say, "I am a writer."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy, Your success story is so encouraging. Can't wait to sit in on your workshops and learn from you at the conference.

      Delete
  3. I had numerous things I needed to impart to my kids and the kids I educated in Vacation Bible School and others with whom I related. I self-taught my little girl from preschool until the point when she graduated secondary school with the exception of 18 months in the center. I even showed my grandsons for a long time. You need to explore http://www.manuscriptwriting.net/writing-manuscripts-with-us/manuscript-formatting-services/ because it contained good piece of information found in this site.

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you want to get the idea about the successful writer then this page is the real area with the best information. Get the site with the best writing conference and see the workshop descriptions with the better mode.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What can the writers can get the best about this area of the extras. You can get the real pattern of the success and can enjoy your life with the better settlement. On this page you can win your game with the writing contest.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Writer's conference is necessary for the students to improve their writing.Writers can do better jobs and this site https://www.biographywritingservices.com/good-phd-biography/ is aiming to do this function.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Writer's conference can do wonders for readers and we can really get unique ideas of writing. So click to read more here and see what is more important for students and for new writers.

    ReplyDelete